To fly a Canadian glider in Canada, the renter will need to have a Transport Canada Foreign License Validation Certificate.  This certificate is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

This can be applied for by submitting a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate form to Transport Canada.



  • In order to apply for a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate form (FLVC) for Recreational Flying, the following documents must be submitted:

    1. A completed application for the FLVC.

    2. A valid foreign flight crew licence or a valid temporary foreign flight crew licence that is endorsed with privileges and ratings applicable for the FLVC application.

    3. A valid medical certificate issued by the same state that issued the licence. In the case of a licence issued by a member country of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), a medical certificate issued by any EASA member country.

    4. A valid English or French language proficiency rating to a minimum “Operational Level” (ICAO level 4).

    5. The copy of the data page from the applicant’s passport indicating photo identification, name signature, date of birth and citizenship.

    6. $45.00CDN fee that may be paid by credit card by phone at: 1-800-305-2059 select options 1 - English, 1 - Fee payment, then select 4 for the Ontario region.  Ask for and record the receipt number for you payment (see below).  Calling from outside Canada or the US, use the direct number 1-416-952-0400

  • Scan all the required documents from items 2,3,4,5 to PDF and email them to TC at:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • as proof of fee payment include the receipt number from item 6 in the body of the email

  • When an applicant provides electronic or other copies of foreign licensing documents, the applicant must also arrange for the Civil Aviation Authority that issued the document to provide TCCA with verification of the licence, medical certificate and other associated documents. If an applicant presents original documents in person at a TC office, then verification may not be required.


To fly American registered gliders in Canada, you will need a US license as well as a validation of foreign flight authourity as described on the US Experimental Glider Page